Best Apps for Students with Dyslexia
Audiobooks are a great way for your child to increase their vocabulary and learn. Where can you get audiobooks?
Here are a few suggestions:
* Your Local Library
*North Hi Mount Library
Overdrive (Ms. Massey's Library Under Database)
What Do I Tell My Child?
Your child has dyslexia. What do you tell them? Here is a list of books you can read for yourself or to your child, to help the conversation go smoothly.
* Knees by Vanita Oelschlager
It's Called Dyslexia by Jennifer Moore-Mallinos
* Thank you, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacoo
What is Dyslexia ?
Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin.
* Difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition
* Poor spelling
* Decoding abilities.
* Poor reading comprehension
* Reduced reading experience
* Limited vocabulary and background knowledge.
Common Signs Seen in Children
* History of reading and spelling difficulties
* Avoids reading aloud
* Reading is labored, not fluent
*Avoids reading for pleasure
From The Dyslexia Handbook (TEA) - Revised 2014
Welcome to Our Class
Hello, My name is Ms. Houston and at North Hi Mount elementary school, our mission is to promote reading success by providing evidence-based professional learning to our students. This is done by implementing the Neuhaus program which is a structured, sequential, cumulative curriculum which uses multi-sensory and discovery strategies(IDA Fact Sheet). I am excited to be your child's dyslexia teacher and to see them grow daily in the world of reading.